Recipe created in collaboration with Praznična magazine (summer 2022).
Season of tomatoes is just around the corner and all these beautiful salad variations are calling us to gather around the picnic table. What a joy!
Simple ingredients, fresh from the garden can make real magic on a plate, I’m telling you.
I prepared this beautifully served salad, which I call it Burrata Salata (I like it how it rhymes). There is no actual star of the dish, but all the components are composing this summerish flavour, which we all waited for a looooong time (too long in my opinion).
Burrata, produced in the eastern region of Apulia is a bit different from mozzarella, it is much more compact, because it is entirely made of spun paste; it looks like a sort of casket which contains inside the cream of stracciatella. Hard outside but soft inside.
Fresh tomatoes, I like to combine different sorts, because of the taste and of course for the looks (very important!). It’s very eye-pleasing to see simple tomato salad served like a real restaurant dish or even prettier (just me, being modest haha).
Peas is actually very important part of this salad. Again, the salad looks really pro, garnished with some peas in the shell, but the peas also gives a bit balance to the sour salad.
And final touch to the salad – aromatic olive oil. Nothing new discovered here, just upgraded basic olive oil with some flavoursome goodies, like garlic, lemon, thyme, salt and pepper.
Burrata salata with aromatic oil
For the salad
- tomatoes various kinds
- lightly cooked peas
- 1 pack burrata
For the aromatic oil
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- sprigs of thyme a few
- 2 pinch salt
- 1 pinch coarsely ground pepper
- 2 rounds balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon juice
- First we prepare an aromatic oil, which can be prepared a few days earlier and can also be prepared in larger quantities.
- Peel the garlic, wash the thyme and soak them in olive oil. Add salt and pepper and mix well.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them into different pieces.
- Boil the peas in boiling water for 5 minutes and drain.
- Assemble the salad by combining it, first placing the burrata and arranging different colors of tomatoes around it, as well as different sliced pieces.
- Drizzle with aromatic oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Serve with toasted bread.