It’s healthy and comforting, it’s ideal for weekly meal prep and light office lunch.
Serve a hot bowl of this Fennel and zucchini soup with sourdough crackers and give it a feminine touch with edible flowers. Delicious, easy, and beautiful meals are the best, aren’t they?!
Warming veggie soup for cold days
How’s spring where you live?
It is so cold here in Slovenia, I had to pull out the fluffiest, warmest cardigans from my ‘winter clothing box’. I’m ready for summer dresses and summer food, but nature is a shy lady, taking things slow 😄.
I’m warming up my body in every way possible and eating this delicious soup makes waiting for warm weather a lot easier. And tasty of course!
This soup is worth making because:
- it’s meal prep and freezer friendly
- it’s easy to reheat for a quick dinner
- it’s a cheap and family-friendly meal
- it’s healthy and nutritious
- you can easily pack it for office lunch
Ingredients for this Fennel zucchini soup
This easy, creamy Fennel & Zucchini soup is made with super simple and cheap ingredients. The result is a true hug-in-a-bowl filled with flavor. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
• Veggies: you’ll need white onion, 3 large fennels, and large green zucchini in this soup, plus some olive oil for cooking them.
• Broth: we’re using vegetable broth to keep the recipe vegetarian friendly, but feel free to use any type of meat broth if you’d like.
• Coconut cream: this will give this soup a special silky smooth texture and depth of flavor. If you don’t want to use coconut cream, feel free to cook with oat cream to keep this soup vegan. If you’d like to use regular cooking cream, please don’t hesitate to do so.
• Seasonings: don’t forget to season your meal with sea salt and pepper according to your liking.
• For serving: I like to top my bowl with crunc croutons or rustic sourdough crackers.
I love styling food whenever it’s possible, and soups are a perfect ‘canvas’ for playing with edible flowers. Mouthwatering AND pretty meals are a win-win combo.
You could also top it with fresh parsley, chives, or toasted seeds if you’d like!
Styling a bowl of soup
As you can see, soup is a great dish to be styled with flowers.
If you’ve never thought of it, you are missing out!
Ah, there is nothing better than making food extra appealing and romanticizing your life in little daily moments. Make sure you pick edible flowers and clean them before decorating your bowl of soup.
If you’d love to learn more about styling food with flowers click here and read my top 9 tips in the article.
Creamy Fennel and zucchini soup in 4 steps
1. Clean the onion, fennel, and zucchini. Cut the veggies into small, even pieces.
2. In a large saucepan heat the olive oil, add the onion, and stir for about 1 minute.
Add fennel and zucchini and cook for another minute.
3. Add the vegetable stock and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
Add 2 teaspoons of coconut cream.
4. Use a stick blender and mix to a smooth texture.
Add a bit more water to achieve the thickness you like.
How to customize this Fennel soup
Make the soup richer
If you’re not a vegetarian, I think some cooked bacon would be a great addition to this soup.
Add more veggies to your soup
You can make this soup more filling and boost your daily veggie intake by cooking some potatoes along with fennel and zucchini. Another great companion is the fresh leek. Give it a try!
Freezing and storing tips
• To store: let the fennel soup cool completely and place any leftovers in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
• To freeze: this soup should freeze well! Allow it to cool completely and place it in freezer-safe containers in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. To reheat, thaw the soup completely before reheating it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More soup recipes you will adore
Vegetarian Fennel soup recipePrint Recipe
Vegetarian Fennel Zucchini soup recipe
- 1 large sauce pan
- 1 small knife
- 1 cutting board
- 1 immersion blender (stick blender)
- 600-700 g fennel cleaned and washed
- 300 g zucchini cleaned and washed
- 1 medium white onion peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 liter vegetable soup stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- Peel the onion and cut it into smaller pieces. Wash fennel and zucchini. Cut them into small pieces.
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil, add the onion, and stir for about 1 minute.Add fennel and zucchini and cook for another minute.
- Add the vegetable stock and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.Once the veggies are soft, add 2 teaspoons of coconut cream.
- Use an immersion blender and mix soup a smooth texture.Add a bit more water to achieve the thickness you like.
- Serve the soup with sourdough crackers and dedorate with edible flowers.
- To store: let the fennel soup cool completely and place any leftovers in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Simply reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
- To freeze: this soup should freeze well! Allow it to cool completely and place it in freezer-safe containers in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
To reheat, thaw the soup completely before reheating it in the microwave or on the stovetop.