Recipe was created in collaboration with Praznična magazine (autumnal issue 2022).
Warm autumn days are best spent in the forest. Fresh air straight into the brain cells, striding among rustling leaves, hearing the happy heart beating. Oh joy! It is a free therapy!
Autumn nature offers so much and if you are lucky, you may find some ingredients for your lunch too. All sorts of mushrooms are hidden below the leaves and low branches. So eyes on the prize!
But if you rather observed birds and pretty sky above and missed all the pretty little fellas, waving at you and screaming: “pick me, pick me”, and it happened that you came home with an empty basket, I am offering a great recipe for you, where I used store bought mushrooms. I used combination of Champignon Mushrooms and Brown Beech Oyster Mushrooms.
Empty basket or not, you got to eat something, right? Specially after the outdoor therapy.
This version of stew is delicious, because there are many hidden gems in it, like lemon, parmesan cheese, soy sauce, fresh parsley and basil, celery, white wine. These are all components which are building the taste.
Lemon – I like to use lemon as a fresh and acid element. I always put few drops of lemon juice on the fresh mushrooms.
Parmesan cheese – What would we do without parmesan. You don’t need much, but you do need it. Parmesan is probably one of the most umami rich ingredients in my cookery.
Soy sauce – Half of a teaspoon and the magic happens in the pot.
Parsley and basil – I adopted this combo as my favourite fresh herb mix: I use it for soups, risotto, pasta sauce, pizza topping, …
Celery – Tiny crispy celery pieces are adding the taste freshness to the soup.
White wine – One glass for me and two tablespoons for the elevated flavour in the flavuor. It will pop in the acidity and sweetness.
Mushroom Wild Rice Stew
- 2 mugs Wild rice Use a medium coffee mug
- 1.5 pcs Onion
- 5 pcs Carrot
- 1 pcs Celery
- 1.5 L Vegetable soup stock
- Fresh parsley Handful
- Fresh basil Handful
- Salt & pepper By the taste
- 250 g Champignon mushrooms
- 250 g Brown beech oyster mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 pcs Lemon zest
- 1/2 pcs Onion
- 30 g Butter
- 1 pcs Garlic
- 20 g Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Dry white wine
- Salt & pepper By the taste
- Wash the carrots and celery and cut them into small pieces.
- Peel and chop the onion, and fry it in a large pot in oil until golden.
- Add carrots and celery and stir for 1 minute.
- Rinse the rice under water, drain and add it to the pot.
- Pour over the soup base and cook for about 20-25 minutes, depending on the instructions for cooking the rice on the package.
- Add chopped parsley and basil leaves to the pot.
- Cut the mushrooms into desired pieces and marinate them with lemon juice and grated lemon peel.
- Put the butter in a large pan and fry the onion and garlic at a high temperature, then add the mushrooms.
- Pour in white wine and a splash of soy sauce.
- Add Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Add the mushroom part to the soup part and mix well.
- Let it cook together until the rice is done.